Saturday, September 5, 2009

Peopleline.net - Inbound Calls not working - the solution

After about 5 hours with Disposable Joe and no success, I decided to wake up early and tackle the issue again.

Background: I had recently ported my vonage number over to Peopleline.net, a Vancouver VOIP provider (so far so good, by the way!). Outbound calls were always working well with x-lite with a temporary number they gave and masked the vonage number with. Inbound calls, of course, I had to wait for until the porting was complete. Once the porting was complete, I started working on setting up the inbound calls for Freepbx in the Peopleline trunk we set up. Unfortunately it was not working at all. Here is the saga with the solution at the end:

type=friend
host=customdomain.ucantalk.net
qualify=yes
canreinvite=no
context=from-trunk

I decided to try this:

1. Erasing all settings for inbound because i found a post where you shouldn't enter it and their email said it to..kind of...but not clearly.
2. Adding nat=yes to the outbound area because I was thinking that maybe it's because the box is behind the router that the inbound isn't working....

result:

fail...but...oddly,... with nothing at all in the inbound settings, i'm still getting the same results in the asterisk -rvvvvv action. It's still showing the call coming into the box...so..the call is going into the box...so it must be a small tweak in the existing setttings. i will mess again with the registration string based on this suggestion I found somewhere:

this works as regirstration:

Lexicon:

XXX = three digit user number assigned by Peopleline
YYYYYYYYYY=your ported or Peopleline VOIP number
customdomain = a custom subdomain assigned to you by Peopleline when you buy service
secret=random password Peopleline gives you

XXX:secret@customdomain.ucantalk.net/XXX

but i wonder if the front or back needs to have the 303 numjber.... i"ll try this first:

----- YYYYYYYYYY:secret@customdomain.ucantalk.net/XXX

result = 'all circuits are busy' but it still was doing something in the box (this is after calling a ...oh..crap. that's why. I was calling the 303 number. ha....let me try a cell

result = success! So, strangly, I changed to the setting above with the YYY number at the front and I can successfully call KA's cell phone as an internet call through the box. now i know that first number works interchangeably with the phone number. Now I'll try a call from the cell to the YYY number and watch the command line:

result = busy signal and no CLI activity whatsoever :(

now i'll try changing the last XXX to the phone number and try the steps above again. So, with this:

YYYYYYYYYY:secret@customdomain.ucantalk.net/YYYYYYYYYY

call from 1447 to cell: success!

call from cell to YYYYYYYYYY: busy signal and no CLI activity whatsoever :(

now i'm keeping the above settings and just adding 'from-trunk' to the 'USER context' field in the trunk

result: busy signal and no CLI activity whatsoever :(

So, it would seem that it's the

Now I"m adding this back in:

type=friend
host=customdomain.ucantalk.net
qualify=yes
canreinvite=no

Result: nothing. Busy, no CLI

Now I'll change this:

YYYYYYYYYY:secret@customdomain.ucantalk.net/YYYYYYYYYY

back to this:

XXX:secret@customdomain.ucantalk.net/XXX

and everything is back to 'not working' normal. CLI activity like last night, now i"m getting the ULAW voice stuff read to me.

Registration string seems to be the key..... maybe a bunch more combinations. Maybe we don't need both sides at all.... maybe one side was a temporary XXX while the number was porting...? maybe it's messing things up now?

trying this (no XXX at the end)

XXX:secret@customdomain.ucantalk.net

Result: It works just as well as if I didn't have it there. I see the CLI stuff happening and ULAW was read to me audibly

I'll try a call from 1447>PSTN : no problem! weird! So that terminating XXX didn't seem to do anything at all...

I just realized I didn't try this:
XXX:secret@customdomain.ucantalk.net/YYYYYYYYYY

here goes:
1447>pstn= works!
pstn>YYYYYYYYYY= IT.....................WORKS!!!!!!

something is happening! it's ringing...but strangely not t 1447 which is logged on

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are in action.

SOLUTION in 1 second:

Registration string should be like this:
XXX:secret@customdomain.ucantalk.net/YYYYYYYYYY

that was it. That was all.

Now to learn how to hack a PAP2 (vonage box)

1 comment:

  1. I've just set up a FreePBX/Asterisk system with a PeopleLine account and this helped me greatly. Thanks. Does call waiting work for you?

    ReplyDelete