Monday, July 13, 2009

Voice Messaging one person using VM Blast module

as per the tag of my last post here: http://whymailbox.blogspot.com/2009/07/vm-blast-self-made-tutorial.html

I thought I'd set up a VM Blast Group containing just one extension to see if I could message my business partner (DJ) if he was busy. I was also thinking that it would be a good way to leave a 'self note' or an 'audio note for self' quickly and easily. My Nokia E71 should, if this works properly, leave a notification that I have a voice mail waiting. That voice mail would be myself talking to myself but possibly useful (though not likely). Here goes!

1. Set up two VM Blast Groups - one called 'Joe Group' and the other 'Wayne group'. In Joe Group is just Joe's extension and the same for Wayne Group.

2. In each group I control-select the individual extension and choose a memorable three digit number. In my case I chose a number that is similar to each persons' extension in the system.

3. I chose a password for both (optional)

4. I test called my own assuming they will both work the same by just dialing the three digit number and pressing 'send'.

The system prompted me for password, then read back the three digit number which I confirmed. A beep (very sudden btw) sounded and I recorded my note-to-self followed by the pound key and then option 1 to accept the message. The nice robo-lady thanked me for my message and I hung up.

Notification so far has not come but I think it comes after a bit of a delay... I'll wait a few minutes to confirm that. Result = fail. No notification. However, the message was successfully waiting for me in the voicemail box.

5. Sending test message to Joe...this is kind of like a Twitter 'd' message. ha. No reason why he shouldn't get it. I'll write back here if there is any problem, otherwise, assume this system works.

Conclusion: Easy way to leave voice notes to self and direct message your inner-network friends.

1 comment: