Monday, July 13, 2009

VM Blast - Self-made tutorial

I was surprised to not find much on this module. The search began when I thought of other voicemail systems (standard PSTN landline ones) that allow you to send inner-system messages without actually calling. Interestingly, I haven't found a way yet to send just a single message to a single user's extension in the system, but i did discover the very cool 'vm blast' module which will likely become a great tool for our business. Basically, how it works is you can send a voice message to group of extensions in your system. I have not found the answer as to whether you can send it to PSTN numbers out there instead of extensions, so that will need to be researched as well...but for now, I have it working so that I can voice message a group of extensions by calling a simple 3 digit number. Nice. Here's what you have to do:

1. go to the Admin GUI and go to the module area and 'search for updates' and then find 'vm blast' in the list and process the installation of the module (fast and easy)

2. while still in the GUI, find 'Voicemail Blasting' under your 'internal options & configurations' section of the 'setup' area of your admin page

3. It will be (I think) sitting there waiting with a defaul 'VmBlast Group' and you just have to put in a password (if you want) and name it. I chose this first one as the 'default group' and saved it.

NOTE! This is a bit weird in here. I saw the list of all the extensions in our system in the list and I thought "oh. they are all showing in the field so they must all be selected." However, this is incorrect. The truth is that it has a kind of awkward way of choosing the extensions. You have to select each one and, while holding down the control key, select the ones you want. To my surprise, this actually worked. The first one I saved default 500) without any highlighted extensions immediately disconnects me after a few prompts. That must be because there aren't any selected extensions. Meanwhile, the second Vmblast Group I set up ('test group') works perfectly. It has a few selected extensions. So, I learned
a) you have to do the control button selection thing to choose extensions and
b) if you don't have any extensions selected, it doesn't work at all

Now, I'm curious if I can set up a bit of a work-around for messaging just one person in the system... I bet you could just choose a three digit number for that person that you'll remember, and then set them up as the only person in the VM Blast Group and be able to message them that way. I'm not sure when I'd actually use this feature... I think my idea was that I could message someone without disturbing them if the message wasn't time sensitive (like a kind of voice log note to someone)... I'll do another post on that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment