Thursday, July 9, 2009

Nokia E71 can't register to PBX from certain access points

I wanted to blog this situation I went through because I think it will include some good troubleshooting steps to follow for the future should such a situation occur. It also contains the final solution to this particular problem.

Problem: I could not connect to our PBX from within my home WIFI network.

Steps to confirm problem:

-Attempted connection at second WIFI location = success

-Attempted connection to PBX from third WIFI location = success

Important note: The problem WIFI zone was the only access point where the phone connected with a static IP. The static IP information was input into the E71 for that location only. It used to work just fine this way...

Troubleshooting steps performed:

-reboot problem WIFI zone's router = fail

-check static IP settings in router and phone to make sure they were matching (IP address, primary/secondary DNS, gateway IP, etc) = they matched

-totally delete all SIP profiles from E71 (tools/settings/connection/SIP) and then totally delete all Internet Telephone profiles (tools/settings/connection/Internet Tel) and re-enter data according to this bombshell blog post : http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/feature-voip-with-nokia-e71-how-to-2008095/ = FAIL!

-Try using a different extension instead of mine by following the steps above but changing the extension = message 'cannot save because you can't have two profiles with the same user names in the same realm' (something like that).

NOTE: That last one was really weird. It was like the phone was remembering some bad settings that weren't even there...kind of like some bad password was 'stuck' in there somewhere (I'm a layman, so cut me some slack on the terminology). That's when I decided something was really wacky and everything associated with this extension and connection had to be deleted...but..I forgot about deleting the actual access point from the phone. Thanks to Disposable Joe (DJ) everything worked out great!

-Delete problem WIFI access point from tools/settings/access points

-Scan for a 'new WLAN' connection and 're-found' my home WIFI zone, entered password

-Attempted connection to PBX = SUCCESS!

Note: The weirdest part is that this was without any static IP information.

Conclusion: the problem was either the actual WIFI access point connection (my guess this is true) AND/OR the static IP information associated to that access point (I haven't re-entered it yet to test this so I can't confirm. Maybe later)

No comments:

Post a Comment